That linux-burn-the-program-to-a-CD utility works quite nicely, takes about 5 min once you get the CD burned. Boot off the CD, the program finds the password file, you can change or delete it, and Bobbie's yer auntie.

--R

On 12/4/2010 8:17 AM, l02tur...@comcast.net wrote:
OK Guys -
I have a similar problem on a used Dell Laptop- but it seems the PO passworded the BIOS. Before Win launches it asks for a PW and so far nothing has gotten me past it. I asked Dell (IIRC) for help and they wanted all kinds of history - like the PO it was bought on, when, how much, etc. Naturally I don’t have any of that. Right now it's a $25 doorstop.
;-)

I'll try some of the solutions you all mentioned...

LarryT
91 300D

-----Original Message----- From: harry watkins
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:06 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] OT Need computer help

I have an Emachine with Vista Home and I need a way to get around the password on the first page.

This came with the stuff when I bought everything but the real-estate from a closed golf course. The PO and one of the counter workers have given me everything they can think of but nothing has worked.

It comes up with the username displayed and has a blank for the password.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Harry