I can buy pipe and fittings for central vacs at Home Depot. It is not plumbing pipe but it is not unique either. I think all central vac pipe is about the same.

Randy

On 07/12/2010 12:46 PM, Harry Watkins wrote:
The pipe I got was not sized to match up with regular plumbing pipe. I under bought thinking if I needed a little more, a short hardware store trip would work. NOT. I had to drive 80 miles and I stocked up, 13 years later and I have left over's.

I didn't know about the clear, but that would be the way to go.

Thanks
Harry

----- Original Message ----- From: "R A Bennell" <b...@mts.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] The W123 of vacuum cleaners

I did, many years ago.

I ran the pipe for the second floor up through a closet on the main floor into a closet on the 2nd floor and then put the outlet through the back wall of the closet into the hallway. Pipe is about 2 inches diameter if my memory is right. Our 2 story house has a duct chase in one spot that permits heating ducts, plumbing etc to go from the basement to the 2nd floor. I used that as the spot for one of the main floor outlets.

Our house has a full basement and the vacuum unit is mounted in the basement. Has worked well for about 25 years. Put a new motor in it a year or so ago. Think the old one just needs bearings and brushes so I kept it but SWMBO was very anxious to have it fixed and insisted we swap motors ASAP. It had become intermittent. Sometimes would not start.

Ours uses the white pipe. I think if I had to do it over, I would use the clear pipe. I once had to find a blockage and cut it out to fix the problem. Clear pipe would have made it easier to do that. The blockage was a piece of dowel about 2 inches long from kid's toys. Got caught on a T and would not turn the corner.

Randy