On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 21:10:19 -0700 Craig <diese...@pisquared.net> wrote:

> I got the replacement hose and some copper sealing rings from Q and did
> the work last Saturday. The pictures attached show the progress. I did
> not have the correct size of copper sealing rings for the banjo
> fittings, so I re-used the old ones. There is a slow weeping of
> gasoline from the lower banjo on the lower fuel pump.

I got the correct sealing rings for the banjo fitting on the check valves
of the fuel pumps and the fuel filter and rolled the rear end up on ramps
yesterday. I swapped all of the banjo fitting sealing rings and started
it up. I found the leak was MUCH worse than before! Hmmm ...

I got underneath and found that the upper fuel pump's plumbing
connections were leaking like a sieve. Grumble, grumble.

So I turned the engine off and disconnected the battery and got back
under the car. I found the banjo fitting to be tight, but once I loosened
that, I found that the check valve was loose in the pump, just like the
bottom pump. Strange. I got a new one of the smaller, check valve-to-pump
copper sealing rings and installed that. Then I redid the banjo fitting
and tried running the engine again. The torrent of gasoline had stopped,
but the banjo fitting on the lower pump was weeping gasoline. After
REALLY TIGHTENING that, the weeping stopped and I called it good.

Now I need to attack:

- cracked windshield

- windshield washer pump that doesn't run

- driver's side headlight wiper mis-aligned

- fog lights aimed too low

- speedometer that makes ticking noise -- I think it's from the odometer
  because I think I noticed the 1/10s digit moving irregularly in
  synchronism with the ticking. I hope this doesn't mean removing the
  instrument cluster and fixing the odometer.

- probably other stuff, but I don't remember now.

Craig