On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The problems with all modern automobiles is the replacement of analog
> mechanical controls with digital electronic controls, and subsequent gross
> cheapening of mechanical design.  Programmer's disease indeed.
> I personally will pass -- all  those electronics will fail in use, and
> replacement is more than the car is worth.  Mechanical stuff can be fixed,
>  if not cheaply, but a dead brain box is just junk.

Analog electronics are just as fixable as anything mechanical---ask
our own Jim C., or GDL, the company that rebuilds CC amps.  Digital
electronics, too, are fixable by those with the proper training, or
can easily be retrofitted with newly-engineered parts that, by Moore's
Law, will be simpler and work better.  And modern digital electronics
can replace analog electronics (or primitive digital designs) with
technology unknown at the time the original system was built; for
example, the troublesome Mercedes ACC brains could be
reverse-engineered and replaced with microcontrollers.

As the baby boomers that have dominated the monied side of the old-car
hobby for many years move on to the Great Pick-N-Pull In The Sky,
there will be a paradigm shift in the hobby, and in the restoration
and parts businesses supporting it, away from an emphasis on repair or
replacement of mechanical parts, and towards restoration and
reproduction of the parts that are more likely to fail in cars from
the '70s, '80s, and '90s.  That means plastics and electronics.  This
is already happening in certain segments of the business, in fact;
just to take one example with which I'm familiar, check out the
magazine "5.0 Mustang" the next time you're at the supermarket, and
notice the full-page ads for replacement plastic parts for the
interior and exterior of those cars.  Or look at the curriculum at
trade schools for aspiring auto mechanics: it's half electronics
training now.

I've been hearing the argument that the more electronics in a car, the
less reliable, durable, fixable, and restorable it is, for 20-plus
years.  (I believe the first time I noticed it was in the British
magazine CAR, in reference to a limited-production Italian car that
used a V-8 originally from a mid-engine car in the front, with the
crank rotating the opposite direction from the original application,
necessitating a unique engine management system.  The author was
worried that the electronics would be irreplaceable and unfixable down
the road.  Maybe it was the Lancia Thema 8.32?)  I just don't buy it.
Modern electronics have made cars safer, more reliable, cheaper to
produce, more efficient, and less polluting.  As they get older the
electronics fail with greater frequency, but so did the mechanical
parts of older cars (consider that '50s American cars, for example,
were ready for the crusher after 50,000 miles or so).  Modern cars
aren't harder to repair, just different.

Alex