> ....1972 elsewhere, 1973 here. I once drove way too far to look at three
> 1972 SEs and SELs. Turned out to be a
> W108 long, a W108 short, and a W114. Could have had all three for
> $500-600, and
> they were basically complete. Unfortunately, I needed W116 parts, and
> didn't
> have time/space to deal with those then. I knew that W116 started in 1972,
> but
> didn't know that MBUSA didn't sell W116s in 1972. The 108s were both 4.5s
> IIRC,
> the 114 was six, I think with carbs. The seller was surprised when I
> pointed out
> that one of them was not S-classe...

I think you are a year off. The last of the W108s were early 1973 models
when the W116 was already available.

"The Mercedes 116 chassis chassis automobiles were manufactured from 1973
to 1980. Instead of the twin sealed beam headlights mounted vertically as in
the earlier S class the twin headlights were mounted horizontally. This
chassis was only produced as a 4 door sedan model. They were extremely advanced
for their day when first introduced in 1973. These big S class sedans were
fitted with both 6 and 8 cylinder gasoline engines. The first turbo diesel
engine was introduced in this chassis in 1978. For a big car their handling is
remarkable. Mercedes 116 chassis owners praise the ride and handling even
compared with cars manufactured today. If you can find a good one with low
mileage, they make great comfortable road cars."

I'd like to see a reference regarding your idea that there was a 1972 116.

RLE