Its important to remember that the vacuum lines on a 1980 are 30+ years old now
and ARE going to fail. The plastic has hardened and vibration will make them
break. Fixing vacuum issues isn't a "Today I work on it and it'll be good
forever" its going to be "I need to work on this every year from now until
forever" unless you replaced them all now...

A mityvac and the vacuum diagram is an investment into your future. Vacuum
troubleshooting isn't hard, you follow pull the block, pump it down (or try to
anyway) and follow the line to the offender.

For example:
Last fall I drove myself to the airport in my '78 240D, when I got there the
car wouldn't shut off. Manual transmissions are handy, step on the brake, pop
the clutch, problem solved. When I got back the problem hadn't magically fixed
itself but I did notice it wasn't an issue if the doors were unlocked. Hmm,
problem therefore MUST be in the door circuit, specifically the UNLOCK side of
the door circuit.
Theres a block of vacuum hoses under the driver's feet so I pull back the
carpet, start unplugging things and pumping down the mity vac and see what
happens. Some lock or unlock doors on the other side of the car (if one pulls
down but doesn't do anything release vacuum, change the lock state of the doors
(unlock or relock) and see what try again) and one unlocks the rear driver's
door but one doesn't seem to do anything and doesn't hold vacuum... Start
following that one, it goes under the driver's seat and I find a break where it
comes out. Find another in the door. Now the rear passenger's door unlocks and
relocks.

Start the car and verify function with engine vacuum, thats good AND the car
shuts off. Problem solved. Also replaced a 4 way adapter which makes the doors
unlock and relock faster and hold vacuum longer.
Theres more to be gained on this car (leaky old fittings) but I ran out of time
that day and its cold now so I'll work on it more in the spring.

-Curt