The * key isn't related to presets... its a function key that, among other
things, allows you to do a direct entry of the frequency as you already
discovered.

To save a preset, tune to the desired station by any method (seek, direct
entry, etc) then press and hold the preset you'd like to save the station
too.  Keep holding.  It will change to it's old saved station, then after a
few seconds, to the new preset you have saved.

Jaime