Not specifically illegal here in SC but the cops can get you for reckless driving, which can be construed to be about anything they want it to be. Crash reports have a box to check for cell-phone as a factor, or inattentive driving, and other things that could be related to texting, yapping, taking pics, etc.

I take my camera with me sometimes, and have busted 2 deputies for 1) tailgaiting and speeding and 2) speeding (65 in 50 zone). The Sheriff was not amused at his guys' behavior when I emailed the photos to him.

--R