Congrats!

Glad to hear the result was good! Nice to have some beefy content. How much did you have to pay for the tester?

From: Rick Hawkins Java <macj...@aol.com>
Date: January 31, 2011 1:33:01 AM EST
Subject: 300td injector rebuild

Folks

I've been struggling with a no start condition for a month or two. My car will only start with a shot of ether. Glow plugs and system are good. I've been too lazy to adjust the valves but i replaced one injector 6 weeks ago with an unknown used and it ran better but still no starying joy.

I had the removed injector tested over Christmas and it had a bad narrow spray pattern squirt.

I finally located a reasonably priced KIKI injector tester (made in japan) on craigslist in abeline, texas and talked the seller into shipping it to georgia. A great investment!!

This weekend we had a rare 2 days of around 70 f highs, so it was the time to do it.

So i collected a junk set of injectors out of a 240 and added my spare. Incidentally they popped at 1500 to 16oo lbs. I washed them in gas and then disassembled them all and then threw everything but the nozzles into the ultrasonic cleaner. Then i installed new monark nozzles and reassembled. I fiddled with shims and set them all to pop at 2050 lbs, usually with only one try. I used a digital caliper on the shims to figure out what thickness to add or subtract.

I swapped the rebuilt injectors for the ones in the car. Is there some trick to removing the heat shields. I couldn't get the old ones out, so i just reused them.

I still don't know if it will start cold, but MAN what an improvement. I'd say i have 20% more power and acceleration is much more immediate. The lope in the idle went away and it's just much smoother and it was pretty smooth even with the goofy injectors.

To keep some required airplane content, i test drove it out to AHN and talked planes with a member of the us aerobatic team. While i was there i took a call from my friend jay who is a watch repairman (watch content).

I'll keep you posted on whether it will cold start. And yes, i've been running the 1982 300td on WVO for going on 4 or 5 years!! The monarks are supposed to be better for WVO and they are really made in germany.

I'm sending this to the Peugeot list, too, because i'm sure the injector improvement will help a peugeot diesel with Bosch injectors, just are much!

thanks,

xx rick
Rick Hawkins

www.javaphoto.com