I have a good friend who is married to a CPA that is a real penny pincher. They
bought a Prius new with the intent of saving big bucks due to her 60+/day
commute.

As she tells the story, the car started out with great mileage, somewhere
upwards of 50 mpg, but over time ended up being around 35 mpg as the batteries
aged.

She also mentioned that a lot of the consumables were very proprietary, forcing
the owner to go to the $tealership for things as basic as oil changes.

The Prius is now gone, replaced with a Hyundai that gets as good mileage as the
Prous did and costs less to maintain.

Another point she made was that Toyota is very clear that they have never had a
battery fail under warranty, however, there are no guarantees as to the
capacity of the battery over it's lifetime.  As I interpreted this, as long as
it holds a charge, no matter how slight, they are not going to replace it...

Dan

Sent from my iPod