When I got my 300E, the dealer wanted $300-400 to look the car over, and
that wasn't including doing a leak down pressure differential test.  I
passed, as I can look at, shake and wiggle external things as well as the
next guy.

If it takes anyone 3 hours to do a compression test, I probably wouldn't let
them touch my car, as there's a good chance they don't have a clue what
they're doing.  Again, $60 for 3 hours work comes out to $20 per hour.
Wouldn't want a $20 an hour mechanic touching my car either.  My guess is,
it's more a half hour job, and the $60 is a bill for a half hours labour.

Why not take it to a guy you know and trust, and do a leakdown pressure
differential test, rather than just a compression test.  Gives you a better
snapshot of what's going on inside the engine, and a better indicator if
things aren't what they should be, just where the problem(s) might be.
Shouldn't take more than an hour, if they stop for tea and cookies.

Ed
300E