I think the head gasket on my truck (96 Shivvalay 305 [I think that is what it is, the smaller set up on the 350, not that it really matters] engine) has gone bad -- it is barfing coolant out the back, best I can tell it is coming out the back of the head/block joint. Looks like I am going to have to do surgery on it soon. Never done this sort of thing before, my main concern is taking off the head bolts. I assume they do not come out too easily? Do I need to use a regular socket wrench and just tug on them, or will an air impact wrench be better to get them out? Should I get new bolts or go with studs when putting it back together?

Vortec engine, deathcool in it originally though I have lately been using the universal stuff, about 80k miles.

Any knowledge appreciated.

--R