Marshall Booth wrote:
Aaron Lam wrote:
Hi all,

My 1987 300D has recently developed this problem, and I'm sure other
124 owners have experienced this as well. On a cold morning after
initial startup, I hear a constant clicking noise from behind the
glovebox that goes away after about 5 minutes. It's definitely ACC
related - there's no clicking noise if the ACC is switched off. My
first guess is the vacuum manifold behind the glovebox - do these go
bad after a while and cause the clicking issue?

Try unplugging the circulation pump (located under the washer water reservoir in your car I THINK). When it draws excessive current (yours is of an age when they tend to do that) there is a circuit that will shut things off as long as there is excessive current being drawn and allow it back on when the resistance increases. There are several other things that can cause the relay chatter. I'll see if I can find references to them. Most of my experience is with 201s (similar but not identical to 124s).

Marshall

Unplugging the circulation pump eliminates the relay chatter in '87+ 126 models (and that system is virtually identical to the 124). I have two reports of that. I THINK I've gotten at least one report that it works with 124s as well, but can't find it now.

Marshall

'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi