You have a DSL modem, and a wireless router, correct?  Typically the wireless
router is handing out IP addresses to your devices using DHCP; it also
tells the devices what the DNS is so you set this up in your router.
You probably get to the router admin settings by going to

http://192.168.1.1

and logging in as "admin" or "root", then look around for the DNS
settings.

You may need to consult your router instructions or do some googling on
the specific model.

Allan

Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> writes:

> OK I see on the winders TCP/IP properties that I can put in some DNS
> addresses (it is checked to obtain automatically now) but I think it
> is my DSL modem that is trying to connect to a DNS server; otherwise,
> how do all the other boxes know where to go (or put another way, how
> is it they all try to go to the same DNSs automatically?)?  I see I
> can do something similar on the iMac.  Would I need to set all the
> connected devices to go to a specific DNS address?  Not sure I can do
> that on the AppleTV box, and if I have random laptops jumping on the
> wireless, will they try to go to the ATT servers that appear to be
> problematic?  Which box exactly is it that tries to get to a DNS and
> fails?  Or is it something else in the modem preventing that automatic
> access?
>
> --R (learning these arcane details)
>
> On 4/26/2011 11:16 PM, Craig wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:13:19 -0400 Rich Thomas
>> <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> It was fairly well behaved this evening, even streaming Netflix only
>>> gorked once.  In looking at the set up for the modem, I'm not sure how
>>> to change the DNS servers -- suggestions?
>> At my house, the DNS addresses are set in the computer, not the modem.
>>

>> Craig

1983 300D