the update
I primed the system until the fuel ran clear out the return line. We turned it on and let it glow for a while, and then turned the key with the throttle to the floor. It turned over like I think it should, and you could hear it fire every few revs or so, but it never took. Kept the starter turning until the battery had nothing left. Dang, what should I look at now? I'm thinking pull the valve cover off, set the valves and check timing chain stretch/condition. If that is all good, then a compression check is in order. Any other suggestions?