Greetings,
I just installed a rebuilt distributor into my 1973 4.5L and I have a couple
of issues.

There is a "black wire" that the points hooks to, that I'm not sure where to
hook up, the old one had a green wire that ran down to a transistor mounted
near the radiator.

I think I might have a problem with my ignition system now, because I only
have 6 Volts across the coil. I've been dealing with this car running bad
for a while and previous to buying the rebuilt distributor, I had installed
a Petronix hall effect electronic ignition to replace the points. The new
shaft had points already installed so I thought I would get the car running
with the points
before falling back onto the Petronix.

Now there is no spark if the coil wire is removed from the distributor cap
and the engine is turned over. That coupled with only 6V across the coil
worry's me.
Also, I left the key on for a couple of minutes and the bottom resistor got
really hot.

Any help?

Have I fried my, previously new coil?

Jim Lewandowski