The points that came with the distributor are different than the original.
What do you mean by "wire tail".  The original points had a black and
white striped wire, the new ones do not.  I visually inspected and gapped
the points, the new ones, and they do open, but they are different from the
original.

When installing the Pertronix, should that wire that runs down through the
ballast resistor also be removed?  I've seen
posts where others installing the Pertronix have jupered to ballast
resistors to get rid of thier effect, but this negative terminal
on the coil is still runing down to the switchbox.  Previously when the car
was running I still had the ballast wire on the coil and the Pertronix was
working, though the original problem of timing jitter was still there.

I need to get back over there and check out some more stuff, though its
raining now and not fun to diagnos in the rain.

Jim

On 11/28/05, Peter Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jim:
>
> The Pertronix replaces the wiring to the switchbox, it is not connected
> at all.  You must either restore the wiring to the correct factory
> condition OR re-install the pertronix as specified.  The green wire
> only goes to a connection block on the fender, the black wire from the
> points must go to the same place (note that you should have kept the
> original wire, it's not used on the pertronix at all).  You probably
> have the wrong points if there is a wire "tail" on them, and if they
> are not actually being opened by the cam in the dizzy, it ain't gonna
> spark.
>
> Peter

Jim Lewandowski
[EMAIL PROTECTED]