Since you all seem to have such a keen interest in
this subject so I will chime in as someone who lived
in China for over 20 years. Human manure has always
been considered as an organic fertilizer and has been
used all along until in 1980's when the industrial
fertilizers were allowed to be imported to China. It
does pose as a health risk particularlly in southern
part of China (warm climate). A lot of people got
hepitatis through eating vegetables not thoroughly
cleaned. I remember one of technologies the government
boasted back then was a household septic system which
you can use the produced methanol gas for cooking and
the final waste for crop field or fish pond.

Tan

--- Christopher McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wondered how composting toilets actually work -
> never looked into them. Chinese don't really compost
> either - they just  dump SHO (straight human waste)
> into the paddies. Unless they are using  it for
> biogas, in which case they use underground
> digesters, usually.
>
>   Chris
>
> Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Composting
>  toilets, from what I've seen are usually a sham.
> They cook the uhh,  deposit, down to ash which is
> then technically a toxic waste...
>
>   Composting, as I'm sure you know, happens out in
> the open with air and microbes involved.
>
>   -Curt
>
>   Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:17:57 -0800 (PST)
> From: Christopher McCann
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Green Fuels Would Damage