OK.  Let me phrase this slightly differently.

If you were limited to ONE composer whom would you choose to listen to
exclusively7

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Snook <dsn...@mtsqh.com>
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:01:50
To: Mercedes@okiebenz.com<Mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] GUMP is DEAD

astrasfogel wrote: "So is Bach the greatest?  I call it a dead heat with
Ludwig."

The greatest what?  The greatest composer?  The greatest composer in his
style/era?   The term classical music is confusing because "Classical" is a
style or period or era.  J.S. Bach and Beethoven are in different eras/styles.
Bach is in the Baroque era/period, it's pretty difficult to compare them.   It
would be like asking who is the greatest Sports figure?  When the question
might be who is the greatest football player?  It's pretty hard to compare a
football player and a tennis player.  Likewise, it is difficult to compare
composers from different eras/periods.

So, Bach is arguably the greatest of the Baroque period/style.  And arguably,
Beethoven the greatest of the Classical period.  EXCEPT, ole Ludwig only wrote
9 symphonies. So, I think Mozart gets the nod.  Some people would include
Beethoven in the Romantic period, but I think that is incorrect because his
symphonies followed most of the strict  formalities of the classical periods.
He might be a transition between the two.   For me, the greatest of the
Romantic period is Wagner.

Donald H. Snook