Well that could entail a whole books worth of answers. Retarded timing tends to make for black smoke and high egts. Premature timing tends to make for grey smoke. Proper timing will increase power and minimize particulates. Injectors can cause the same thing, low pop pressure (worn springs) you get early injection, clogged injectors can lead to dribble (injector keeps sending fuel after its supposed to stop) and then black smoke.

-Rolf

On 08/10/2011 01:57 PM, astrasfo...@gmail.com wrote:
Great - thanks, Rolf. One last question.

So how will this adjustment improve how the engine operates?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rolf<r...@winmutt.com>
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:53:24
To:<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300 sdl timing chain,

That is up for some debate. I cant see why you wouldnt be able to do it
via the RIV tool port on 84 and 85's but GSXR on pp said you couldn't.
Why I don't know. Its worth a try I think, unfortunately my 85 has an 83
engine... It should dead simple, similar to the steps liste in 07_1-111.
Rotate the engine to the proper timing mark, stick the lock tool in
(make sure the slot is horizontal to accept the tang) and then adjust
the IP banck or forward until the tang pops in the slot and bam your done.

-Rolf