You should be able to replace the banana rail (that the tensioner pushes on) from the outside. Pull the pin, pull out the old. Put the new one in and replace the pin.

Brothers,

I'm considering pulling off the timing case cover on my '87 wagon so that I can
replace the chain guides.  Anyone BTDT?  How tough is it to pull off the
crankshaft damper?  What sealant do I use to put it all back together?  Any
hints/tips/gotchas to be aware off? I know that Dave M. did this job once long
ago, and I recall that he really didn't enjoy it very much at all.

The upper guide which I've already loosened has a small hole indicating it is
getting brittle, and the guide that the chain tensioner pushes on seems to be
cocked and not contacting with the tensioner squarely, so I suspect it has
started failing and I really should replace it as long as I'm this far into the
process.

 Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon
'87 300TD 334k miles (Off with the head!)
'95 E300 292k miles (daily driving duties)
'73 Balboa 20 (High & dry until the head is back on)
Charleston SC