The only thing really wrong with those cars was the GM tendency to make junk parts and cheat on everything. The sheetmetat was crap, the plastic parts weren't made right (and the managers at the production plants lied about it) quality control was about par with a Soviet factory, etc.

The design wasn't too bad, they got decent milage, and if not made from trash they'd have been decent cars for 1980.

I've heard that GM finally learned not to make cars form junkyard parts, but I'll believe it when I see one 25 years old with 300,000 miles on it working well with minimal mechanicing, like my Benz.

Peter