On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net> wrote:
>> Yeah, but combined with the strong hot-coolant smell?  I figured
>> defective heat control valve at best, leaky heater core at worst.
>> (Wherever either of those are on a W123 240D).
>
> The heater valve should be on the engine side of the firewall.
> Leaks somewhat unlikely to propagate into the cabin.

What is it with people who don't fix cars with that kind of leak,
anyway?  The smell of hot coolant makes me sick to my stomach in
seconds.

This is an actual exchange between me and the seller of a car I
test-drove not too long ago:

ME: Wow, that coolant smell sure is strong.
OWNER: Oh, is that what that is?  Smells like maple syrup to me.
ME: Did you recently change out the heater core and some of it
spilled, or something like that?
OWNER: Nah, it's always smelled like that.  My kids love it.  They
say, "Daddy, can we ride in the car that smells like pancakes?"

Alex