In my experience Allstate is poor at handling claims when one of their
insured hits you.  But, if you google insurance companies it seems everyone
has a complaint.

There are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for insurance:

1. How likely am I to get sued because my insurance company doesn't pay
someone's claim?
2. How well does the insurance company handle comprehensive claims?
3. How much does the insurance company charge?

When I was hit by an Allstate driver, I had to mention lost earning capacity
and medical expenses before Allstate would even admit fault.  Then their
claim handlers lied and lowballed me repeatedly.

I've dealt with bad State Farm agents who wouldn't submit paperwork.

I haven't had any major problems with Farm Bureau or Progressive.

Brian