I don't deposit the check.  I just take it to my bank and ask them to verify
it as I think it may be a fraud.  I have $15k in fraudulent cashiers checks
and such that I have received over the years.
  It is also a good way to test your bank.  I closed my account with HSBC
after the manager lied to me and told me that the only way to verify a
cashiers check was to deposit it and wait.  I walked down the street to
Community bank with whom I did not have an account, asked the teller if she
coyld verify the cashiers check and she got on the phone.  Within 5 minutes
she told me the check was fraudulent.  The banks use recycled numbers on
cashiers checks so they are very easy to make look real.  The trick is that
the dollar amount will never match the same check number again, or so they
hope.

Mike