From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Max Dillon
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:22 PM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: [MBZ] OT '96 Infiniti I30 woe

SWMBO's car, '96 Infiniti I30, 204k miles, has begun to act up in the last
couple days.  Once the car has been driven for a while and is nice and warm,
the engine will occasionally die while at idle, and occasionally is also
very rough at speed, like it is choking out.  With just a little gas and at
low RPM, engine is fine, but if you really step on it or rev too high, it
bogs down and dies.  The problem is an on/off problem; either it is running
fine, or it just dies.  Behavior can be influenced by throttle position.

I suspect an ignition problem, so I'm going to see if it has stored any
codes in the ECU and also check the crankshaft position sensor.  I've got
the factory service manual, I'll dig into that as well.

Anyone else have an idea?

The good news is SWMBO is now forced to drive the E300.  She's on an errand
now, I'll ask for her opinion of the car once she gets back.

Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon
Charleston SC
'87 300TD 337k miles (Headless Garage Queen)

'95 E300 295k miles

'73 Balboa 20