I'm in a state that gets snow and ice in the winter, consequently salt is used on the roads. I've never owned a car that didn't rust to some extent (and I'll count the cars my parents owned since I'm familiar with them). Japanese, American, German... they all rust.

Best experience was a '91 VW Jetta, it was largely rust free after 10 years but it was starting. Worst was a '87 Toyota truck, the bed and fenders were like swiss cheese when I sold it.

I think a lot of places use a lot more salt than they used to, also.
Allan

Many states now put down brine in place of salt and sand. My experience is that the brine causes cars to rust even faster. The worst vehicles were in the mid 70s, after the second round of pollution restriction. Many cars and trucks rusted through within the first winter. The Pieces OS got craapy fuel economy. like 10-14 for deetriot cars, and 6-12 for pickups.

This was a direct cause of the influx of japanese pickups and cars, under their own banner or under the banner of a deetriot giant. People did not want to buy a deetriot POS that was crappy, cost a fortune in fuel, and rusted out the first winter. Robert McNamara's theory was proven wrong.