The old tale about never have gasoline around Diesel was true for American Diesels built before 1975 or so. They did not not explode, but they would blow the head bolts loose, and if you ever hears a vw with loose heads in the 70s, multiply that by the ratio of the displacement difference (1600CC vs___) and you can imagine the racket made people say it was a violent explosion.

Our MBs, as Clay pointed out, are stronger, and can be successfully run on up to 25% petrol/Benzin/gasoline successfully. (iron heads only)

The guy who used to do IP and nozzle work for me had seen many Diesels with the heads loosened by gasoline, and he would not allow a drop of gasoline near his shop. Not even to clean parts.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Got a question.
I am presuming that Jim's comment "Rest assured that your older MB engines will survive the
experience, though they won't be happy about it.  Those
inline Bosch pumps are quite hardy"
refers to mixing gas with diesel in a diesel engine. Forgive me if I misunderstood what he meant. ( His comment about the Bosch pump makes me wonder if I understood correctly). This reminded me of an incident a number years ago in the previous century. I had been told that introducing even a small amount of gasoline into the diesel fuel would result in a violent explosion in the cylinders that could do catastrophic damage to the engine, especially the pistons. Well one day shortly after I refueled the car, my wife called from about 10 miles away to tell me that the 82 240D was running exceptionally bad. I drove down in the other vehicle, traded vehicles with her and drove the diesel home. It run unusually rough, bucked, and jerked all the way home. In my appalling ignorance at the time, I tried racing the engine, driving fast, and a few other abusive tactics. The next day, I took it to a shop and was told they smelled gas at the filler cap, so they drained the tank. I was horrifed to find that there was gas in the fuel. Couldn't believe I had filled the tank with gas. When I asked the tech how much damage likely was done, his comment was that I was lucky that most of the fuel was gas. This made no sense to me. Maybe he meant that a small amount of gas might not have been noticeable and would have done more damage over time? The car suvived the experience. I never noticed any aftereffects, even years later. This leads me to wonder about what does happen if gas gets in the diesel fuel. Doesn't sound like it is catastrophic. What do you think?

Jerry
82 240D (Has suffered abuse)

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6656 (20111124) __________

http://www.eset.com