TO me it is all GM C-Rap. Therefore to me is is all the same. A pile of c-rap from one person who are tacos is different form a pile of c-rap from somebody else who ate steak. To me, it is all c-rap.

If to you a old 350 is different from a shovey 350, more power to you, but the same POS Diesel engine was used in old and shovey cars and trucks. None the less, some GM gasser was the basis for the GM v-8 diesel used in the 70s. I was talking originally about the GM v-8 Diesel used in in Shoveys regardless of the origin of the underlying gasser.

To me the most telling sign that the designers were clueless, was using a tiny gasser filter and putting fuel in the top and out the bottom, so that any water went directly into the injectors to ruin them. Not to mention burying the said filter where nobody could find it without major effort.

Not the small block Chevy.  It was based on the Olds 350, a completely
different animal than the Chevy.  A lot bigger and a lot more durable.
Still not the best choice for a diesel platform though.

Mike