I hooked a taillight bulb to the leads going to the mono valve and still get the same readings I did with the multimeter. I did not get blinking lights at

Taillight bulb is a bit heavy, a side-marker lamp would be
kinder and gentler.

any settings, solid on, solid off. I hooked up five different control boxes and got the same results.

On our 380SL the auxiliary coolant pump is a bit noisy and you
can hear a faint 'whirr' inside the cabin.  As the monovalve cycles
on and off you can hear the pitch of the whirr change.
"Wheeeeee-whirrrrrr-wheeeeee-whirrrr..."

-- Jim