They are made of steel but being hollow except for the conical seating surface
at the base, they don't tolerate a lot of torque. They simply shear. This has
happened to be at least three times and is a major pita. The last time it
happened was on my pagoda. I couldn't get a replacement caliper soon enough for
a pagoda gathering I organized so I drilled it out. I damaged the caliper
threads a bit but it all came out leaving the conical seating surface
unscathed. While bleeding some brake fluid would leak past the damaged threads
but once tightened it formed an airtight leak free seal. I really don't care to
have to deal with this problem again!

Sent from my iPhone