From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of G Mann
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 8:22 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] global warming

There is plenty of vegetable oil in the world. Palm oil is one that's
available in the billions of gallons in nature [think palm trees in third
world countries]. The issue is how do you collect and process it to bring
it to market in USA or Europe.  Same issues for every other veg oil. The
support infrastructure simply hasn't been built yet to "feed" large scale
production in the billions of gallons,,,, yet.

ASTM 6751- XX [the latest - #] spec Bio-Diesel requires no engine
modifications to run. It goes from the pump to the end use anywhere
Dino-Diesel is used [with some adjustment for gell point]. That is on the
plus side.

On the negative side. There is not yet enough of it to make much of a
splash in the market place. Trucking uses fuel in the millions of gallons
per day.. Airlines also... some airliners are being flown with Bio-Diesel
on a "test basis"... the military is also using it and has put out
contracts for supply.

Ethanol, on the other hand, does require engine management system
modification to run properly, produces less BTU than gasoline [so you need
more gallons to make miles]. The return on energy vs BTU is still
marginal... without government money, every Ethanol plant would close in a
month.  That said.. it's problems are being worked.. in time perhaps,
success.

Grant...
AZ...