To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:37 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Glowing ]91 350SDL

"WILTON" <wilt...@nc.rr.com> writes:

It'll spin plenty rapidly, but I don't wanta grind/spin it so; if glow
plugs are doing what they usually do, just a touch of the starter will
start it. 52F this morning; glowed 30 sec. twice before START; 'fired
immediately with a touch of the starter -  maybe 1/4 turn; well, not
much more, anyway.

The Mercedes diesel starters are tough, after all the recommended cold
start practice is to keep the starter engaged until the engine is firing
smoothly.  I wouldn't worry about hurting the starter with 30 seconds of
cranking, but at 50 degrees you are right, neither multiple glows or
extended use of the starter should not be necessary.  Something is
wrong.

Allan

--
1983 300D