Remember what kind for filter you put in the trans?

Well, the switch is not stuck, carpet was not interfering with it. The car
only has first and second gear, doesn't get to third.

The interesting part is that it used to leave a black smoke cloud large
enough to obscure the car at and above 4000 rpm. Now it's smokeless, and
seems to accelerate atleast as good as it did before. It will red-line at
the proper speed in second.
How can these be related?

Third new development is that I hear a roaring - kind of like the fan was
directly connected, but the clutch seems to be working fine.

I'm going to crawl under it and look for a short in the wiring from the
kick-down switch, examine vacuum hoes, linkages, etc.