Allan,

I worked on the same model last week with the same problem.
The processor has been overheated. This is a problem with the Compaq's
that has the Athlon processor. CPU cooling fan and heatsink get clogged up
with dust air flow drops processor temp climbs and eventually the processor
overheats and dies.
I swapped out the Processor with one I had salvaged from a system that had a bad motherboard, due to owner dropping a screwdriver on the board while it was running. New processor did the trick. System booted right up customer happy and my pocket
book was happy.

Good Luck
Russ W.