Isn't this a chicken/egg thing? We have lousy rail service so nobody wants to
ride it so our costs per passenger are high. The answer is simply more
passengers but that requires making rail travel better which requires money...

Example, the Accela Express between Boston and NYC, I've ridden it a bunch.
Takes 3 hours, why? Because the rails in CT suck. You're flying along, 150mph
(clocked with my GPS) until you hit CT, WHOA NELLY! Slow down to 60mph because
the tracks aren't welded. Then you get held up because the switching system is
all old and outdated. Which state is the bulk of the ride through? CT of
course. So upgrade CT, you shake 1 whole HOUR off the trip on the most popular
and profitable service Amtrak has. However Amtrack works under all these weird
public/private rules like the post office does so no-way.

Another good example, I was in Iowa. Wanted to go to Chicago. Amtrak is a good
solution, its not that far, not that expensive. Strange problem, train doesn't
go through Des Moines, it goes through Ottumwa. Can't return my rental car to
Ottumwa, can't get a bus to Ottumwa, taxi or car service to Ottumwa is crazy
expensive.
Simple solution? Run the train to the biggest dang city in the state. Why not?
Well nobody in Iowa wants to ride the train. Funny how that works.

I do wish we had (or I knew how to get) real numbers on this kind of thing. I
like rail and you're right it has plenty of limitations. It doesn't replace air
service, done right it supplements it and does so well. The train to NYC is so
much better because it goes into Manhattan which saves me a horrible $45 cab
ride from the airport while costing about the same as the flight but being more
comfortable and including wi-fi.

-Curt