He is likely alive because the car peeled it's self.  A contained explosion
will intensify and focus the energy.
A broken ear drum and deaf for life is better that dead however. We tend to
count our blessings when faced with the death option.

Rule 1. NEVER transport a flammable substance in an enclosed space. Every
year, several horrible deaths happen because someone puts their BBQ grill
tank or their lawn mower gas container in their car or trunk then provides
a spark which produces a very horrible path to death.

Be safe, think "this could kill me" and train those around you.

Grant...