And I am sure they were European (white) Spanish, as in Mexico and most other countries south of US. My niece is an expert on LA affairs for A Government Agency, and I asked her about that once. She said it is basically the colonial power still in effect, just not run from afar now, but locally. Makes sense I guess.

--R