SWMBO was on Office 2008, and I liked it a lot better than 2007.  Now
that she's on Linux I have to use my work computer to convert her
school PPTX files to PDFs.

Best,
-Tim

I have Orifice 2008 installed on my laptop and I refuse to install Oriface 2007 on winders boxes. I stick with Office 2003.

PPT does not play well on other platforms in my experience. I was happy using open office until I had to work with narrated PPT a year ago. OO could not deal with the narration. I agree Office 2007 is an abortion that survived. 2008 is ok. The thing that infuriates me is how each new version of M$ office is a "clean slate" and whatever you have learned to hobble along with the last version no longer works. M$ has trained me to not bother trying to learn the basics because whatever you learn is useless in a year or two. 10-12 years ago M$ said that most users only use 10% of the power of their software. And that was before orifice 2007.