Yazzir!

I called Q (Rusty a t buyMBparts.biz) this morning about the turbo even though I was not ready to order until I had done a couple more tests. He put together a list of what I would need if I decided to get the rebuilt turbo over a chinee cartridge. I had figured out that any cartridge under $300 was chinee for sure. Had I found Les blumner's source, (with a good track record) I would have bought one of these. However, with the current US cartridge quote at $450, then I would have to test and set the wastegate for the proper max boost. I could not find any ID as to whether the one installed was a garrett or KKK, so I'd have to have the car down for 2-3 days min waiting for parts, I decided the rebuilt from Q was the way to go. Unbolt the old one, install the new one and then I am set to go home on time.

I called Q back, said go, and the order was shipped today. Should be here in 2 days WITHOUT paying for 2 day air. Just the normal exemplary service from Mr. Q. And the total with a belt, drain tube orings and gaskets, a serp belt, hose for the wastegate actuator, and a few other gaskets was $634. Without the unrelated belt, $612. not bad considering most places would charge north of $1000. Still way more than i want to pay, but given the conditions and limited time, it is worth it. Plus there is the 2 yr warranty on the turbo that I don't get with a cartridge.

Mr. Q, the man who keeps the agents of Herr Daimler's secret service supplied with necessary gizmos.
800 741 5252

Vote for Q!  Your dollars speak!

Those of us who've been on this list for awhile are all familiar with the service and prices which Rusty provides, so I won't waste any bandwidth on that subject. Regarding the saga of my '85 300TD smoking upon cold startup, my next venture into possibly resolving this issue was to install new fuel injectors for #4 & #5 cylinders as these were the cylinders which had displayed lower compression than the other three cylinders. Since my workshop manual suggests using new fuel injector nozzle plates when replacing fuel injectors, I obtained these as well from Rusty. Upon taking out the old fuel injectors and retrieving the old fuel injector nozzle plates using a magnet, the darn things flipped on edge so I couldn't tell which side is supposed to be up/down. I took photos of both sides of the fuel injector nozzle plates and sent Rusty an Email and he responded with the correct installation orientation in time for me to get things back together before dinner. Kudos Rusty! I'm planning on starting and running the car tomorrow AM to see if the fuel injector replacement has solved the smoking upon cold startup . . . I'll let ya' know.

G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC