SL has a wonky speedo. It registers about 10mph or 9% low.  I am not sure what
is up with it, since I have yet to remove it from the cluster.  The odo works
just fine.  Tach is spazzed out and will need acute attention.

The tach pegs when you start the car and just stays there.  Used to flop about
before.  Slow to show the increase in revs and then flop around, wiggling
between 1k marks.  Never settled down, then just decided to go full goose bozo.
 I have three spares I can swap in, but if consensus is that the sender is
probably cause, may hit that first.

Either way, I will be pulling the cluster and looking at the speedo. What
should I lube the cable with?  Light mineral oil or graphite?  I do not recall
what Marshall advised.

I did yank the offending washer pump.  Looked around online for replacement.
Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.  Design change to spaded top instead of round
connectors and reversed polarity.  There is another model that does not bolt to
the frame and live under the radiator overflow tank, but it needs to be
strapped to the washer bottle and does have the proper power connector.  Proper
use one is more than $80, the other is black and around $30, and I have to
rejigger the mounting.

Put 12v to the pump and it hums, so motor is good.  No spinny though.  Figured
I was not going to lose cash by taking it apart.  (this is the same pump as
used in w116)  Doused the wee screws and bolts with kroil and let it sit for an
hour.  Then delicately unscrewed and held tight to nuts (both) and got the
thing apart.  Pretty simple thing. Motor, spins plastic wheel attached to brass
post and toothed gear.  Gear spins another gear (stabilizer) and somehow water
is sucked in one side and out the other to the windscreen.

At least that is what is supposed to happen.  The thing was seized with tartar
deposits.  Soak it vinegar and hope that softened it some.  Get ice pick and
make small whacks at rear of gear posts to remove them, then soak and look for
dental tools.  Grab wet sanding block 220 and go to town on the brass sealing
facia, then do hygienist impression on the gears and body.  Get it all nice and
bright/smooth and used some light machine oil to seat all the moving parts and
put her back together.  I have a washer pump now.

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1972 220D - Gump - She is green, simple and ran
1995 E300D - Cleo - Used by the Queen of Denial
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers