HI,

I want to thank all of you who responded to this dilemma.. I want to address
some of the issues that were brought up.

1.  Fred Moir <fred.s...@verizon.net> wrote:
"When installing a pump the arm must be tilted up whilst being inserted
before being bolted down.
I suppose that the chain sprocket could have come loose from the
camshaft, thus letting the fuel pump operating disc flop loose."

Fred , I have sent you and Peter four pictures of the fuel pump so you can see
what it looks like. In order to operate the pump, the lever must move downward.
If the lever is tilted up, wouldn't this put the lever on top of the cam disc?
The flat part of the lever is the top side, the underside has two narrow
flanges. Before installing the pumps, I placed some grease on the top, flat
side of the lever. When I took them out, the grease pattern showed that
something had flattened the grease on the top, showing that it was in contact
with something. It doesn't tell me if there was movement, however. I am
suspicious that the disc is not turning, as that would explain a few
observations.
If the chain sprocket came loose, or if the disc is loose, would starting the
engine in that condition cause problems?
Much as I want to now start the engine (with an electric fuel pump), I fear I
may do damage.

2.  Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:
"- - -but it's easy to install them so that the cam
doesn't move the pump lever, forgetting that it is pushed upward from
below rather than down from above.
On that engine, the lever sits on TOP of the cam, not underneath, and
it's possible to get the lever on the side of the cam when installing
it."

"It is also possible that the cam is loose on the camshaft drive gear,
also a known problem from ages past.

The chain is the crankshaft to camshaft silent roller chain. They
are never really tight, but loose and sloppy can cause it to jump a
tooth, not a good thing."

Peter, although I keep wondering if I have incorrectly installed the pumps both
times, I don't see how the lever can sit on top of the cam. Am I seeing this
correctly?
Another question - Do you see a problem starting the engine if something is
amiss inside?

Jerry
240D
72 Ford F250