Comments on suggestions from the M-B list

 I ("Jerry Herrman" <jer...@san.rr.com>) wrote:

"Also puzzling is that whatever is wrong happened between the time the
> engine was last shut down and yesterday. Seems unlikely to have
> something happen while it is just sitting there not running."

Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote in response:

"I agree. Simple explanations the best, the pump is not engaging the cam
properly when installed."

Allan, I am pinning my hopes on your point of view, as it is the most
correctible. I will send you by email pictures of the pump and a diagram from
the instructions that came with the new pump. Maybe you can spot something I've
overlooked.

Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:

"Which doesn't quite explain the fact that the original quit pumping.

So we have:

1. Original pump weak, new pump improperly installed.

2. Original pump was temporarily stuck, new pump improperly installed.

3. Both pumps fine, cam not turning under load.

Since #3 requires pulling the pulley and timing cover, let's spend some time on
#1 and #2 first."

Mitch, I will also send you pictures by email  in the hopes you may see
something I overlooked. These days I am finding that many of my mistakes are
things I have failed to think through thoroughly.
Scenario #1. If the original (40 year old) pump was weak, why would it pump
manually just as strongly as the new one? Still, this is a possible explanation.
              #2. If the original was stuck, in what position was it stuck? It
couldn't be stuck in the "up" position because the pump lever would be pushed
down by the eccentric, asumming the eccentric is working.
                    If it is stuck in the "down" position, it would have to be
so against the force of the spring . Still, a possibility.
             #3. I fear this is what is happening. Not knowing what the
configuration is inside that timing chain compartment, I do not know if the
eccentric (cam) can be there and not be turning. Does someone out there know?

Could there be a 4th  possibility??

Jerry
82 240D
72 Ford F250