Certain parts of the country use gas fired plants for various reasons -
sometimes purely for emissions, other times for periods of high demand.

However, with today's current low and abundant natural gas, some power
generators are replacing aging coal stations with natural gas.

I don't think that trend is going to stop as long as natural gas is
inexpensive and plentiful and doesn't require billions in emissions like
coal plants do.