You're talking about CCPP, or combined cycle power plants.

These are commonly coal fired steam plants that utilize a gas turbine for
peaking.

Large gas turbines can typically be spun up in 20 minutes or less, depending on
the model.  GE and other manufacturers have refined the gas turbine to the
point where they are being used for base load applications more commonly.

We have several gas fired plants in the Tampa area, and many utilities are
converting their older coal fired plants to gas, a good example being in my
former town of Port Washington, WI, where a heat recovery steam generator is
used to power two steam turbines along with four gas fired turbines.

The former coal fired plant took roughly 24 hours to bring a steam turbine on
line, with a gas turbine used as a peaker.  Conversion of the plant to 100% gas
eliminated two large smokestacks and a coal pile that was replenished on a
regular basis by coal boats from Lake Michigan.

A good article on the construction of the plant can be found at:

http://www.powermag.com/gas/Port-Washington-Generating-Station-Phase-2-Port-Washington-Wisconsin_1359.html

Dan