Thanks Curt, I am still collecting data. That's why I suggested using
caution for extended drains rather than flat out saying "don't do it" which
is what you seem to conclude from my statements.  TBN is an important test
to tell you have much life you have in the oil.  Similarly, I don't find
the viscosity test to be completely adequate.  It doesn't tell you the
actual viscosity, just the range it falls into, so you have no real way of
knowing if the oil is thinning or thickening unless it does it enough to
jump a viscosity grade.  Recall that 5w-40 can actually be formulated
thicker than 15w-40 because the grades overlap.