I gave it a try yesterday, hit a fairly steep hill, shifted to 3rd. and
floored it.  A lot of real black smoke appeared from the exhaust but I kept
it down.  The next hill, I tried it again and no smoke at all.  I had
noticed in the past, that everytime I hit passing gear,  I would produce a
lot of black smoke exhaust, so I have to assume this is cleaning itself
out.  Thanks.
Ralph

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Rich Thomas <
richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:

> Drive them hard and fast.  No problemo.
>
> --R
>

> On 5/24/12 7:15 AM, Ralph Robertson wrote:
>
>> Another thought about older MB's; 124's and 126's., I have an 84 300CD and
>> a '87 300SDL, with fairly high mileage on both.  Since I have owned them I
>> have not driven them hard at all, barely ever hitting 75mph.  Would it be
>> bad for the engines to just start driving them faster and harder??  Should
>> there be a "breakin" period, say driving a little faster gradually?  Just
>> wanting to do the best for these beauties.
>> Ralph '84 300CD
>>          '87 300SDL
>>
>> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM, OK Don<okd...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Indeed - you will learn if there is abnormal wear in the engine, and get a
>>> feel for how much you could extend the change interval. My analysis
>>> results
>>> are coming back well within normal limits with M1 running at least 12,000
>>> miles on all the engines. Granted, I'm not running an OM61x engine
>>> anymore
>>> though ---
>>>
>>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Craig<diese...@pisquared.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 22 May 2012 20:14:20 -0700 (PDT) Dimitri Seretakis

>>> --
>>> OK Don
>>> 2001 ML320
>>> 1992 300D 2.5T