OK, let's here are the facts about crime rates in large and medium USA
cities.  Interesting that gun-friendly AZ and southern cities dominate
the list.  You don't see D.C. in the top 5:
http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studies/crime1.aspx

Worst Large Cities for Crime (>500,000 pop.)

Although Arizona has two of the most crime-ridden cities in the
nation, their violent crime rates are relatively low.

    Tucson, AZ
    Tucson has one of the highest property crime rates in the country,
especially larceny. On the bright side, Tucson has a low murder rate.
    Memphis, TN-AR-MS *
    Residents of Memphis contend with the nation's second-highest
violent crime rate. In addition, the rate of robbery and burglary are
among the nation's highest.
    Miami, FL
    Miami's violent crime rate is the highest in the nation, with
especially high incidences of robbery and assault. Thankfully, the
murder rate is relatively low.
    Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
    Phoenix-Mesa has one of the highest rates of auto theft in the nation.
    Little Rock-North Little Rock, AR
    The Little Rock area has a high rate of property crime, especially larceny.

Worst Medium Cities for Crime (200,000-500,000 pop.)
On the other hand, the South seems to be particularly challenged with crime:

    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Myrtle Beach has the highest total rate of crime in the nation,
due to a high rate of violent crime and the nation's highest rate of
property crime. In particular, the rates of assault, burglary, and
larceny are particularly high.
    Montgomery, AL
    The murder rate is significantly high in Montgomery, as are the
rates of robbery, burglary, and larceny.
    Laredo, TX
    While the larceny rate is high in Laredo, residents can take
comfort in the relatively low rates of murder and forcible rape.
    Waco, TX
    Like Laredo, violent crime is less of a concern in Waco than
property crime. In particular, burglary and larceny are a problem.
    Wilmington, NC
    Wilmington has the second-highest rate of burglary in the country.
On the other hand, the rates of forcible rape and assault are low.