I would do it in a heartbeat if I was convinced I would be in the house long
enough to recover the costs.

My HVAC guy in Indiana was into geothermal big time, and had a lot of
installations under his belt, so he was very familiar with both the good and
bad. He had the Federal and state incentives down, too. The property tax
exemption thing was very obscure, and it seemed that not a lot of people either
knew about it or took advantage of it.

To do the system for our two story with basement 4,000 SF house would have been
about $18k in 2009. Incentives would have immediately knocked about $7k off the
top, leaving us with an $11k bill when he was done.

He had similar sized homes already in service for several years that were
averaging well under $100/month for energy costs year 'round. That is pretty
good considering the climate.

I never calculated it in detail, but if my memory serves me correctly, we would
have saved at least a couple of grand a year between energy costs and tax
incentives, bringing the payback into the 5-6 year range.

Dan