Our local airport is only staffed part-time.  If you are landing at
night and there's nobody in the tower, you double-click your mic on a
particular frequency and the landing lights switch on.  I don't know how
planes coordinate landing at unmanned airfields, but I assume there's a
protocol.

Allan

OK Don <okd...@gmail.com> writes:

> At least there was a tower involved, to some degree. After dropping the
> glider I was heading to the runway as fast a possible to get ready for the
> next tow - full flaps in the 150/150. Looked down to see a Cherokee landing
> under me. He never announced on the unicom, nothng, just zoomed under and
> landed. I had no idea that a 150/150 could climb that fast when full
> throttle was applied with full flaps! Didin't have to change my pants
> afterwards, but it was close.
>
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Rich Thomas <
> richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:
>
>> When I was flying small airplanes this was an experience one Sunday
>> afternoon:
>>
>> Inbound control:  26N contact tower on nnn
>> ME:  Fort Wayne tower 26N is with you downwind for 22
>> Tower:  26N you are cleared to land advise turning final
>> ME:  clickclick
>> A few seconds later
>> United 727 inbound:  Tower United xx with you inbound for 22
>> Tower:  United you are cleared to land 22
>> ME (a bit later): 26N turning final for 22
>> Tower (a few seconds later, somewhat anxious):   United xx go around for
>> traffic on short final repeat go around please
>> United xx (pilot sounding REALLY pissed):  Roger tower United xx going
>> around for 22
>> Tower:  26N please advise when clearing the runway and contact ground on
>>
>> --R
>>

>> On 8/12/12 1:52 PM, WILTON wrote:
>>
>>> 'Reminds me:  SWMBO and I flew a 150 into Mackinac Island, MI, one Sunday
>>> for lunch at the Grand Hotel; joined right in the pattern, etc., with the
>>> Citations, etc., ('course, coupla of 'em had to go around while I landed
>>> and got out of the way).

1983 300D
1979 300SD